see the whole forum
and post comments.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome

Make an account, so you can
see new posts marked,
see the whole forum
and post comments.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Editor's Blog, by Hunny

5 posters

:: Members Forum :: 

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Editor's Blog, by Hunny Empty Editor's Blog, by Hunny

Post  Hunny Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:28 pm

Hi. My name is Hunny. I created and run this site.
This section is for "diaries" (they're like the members' walls, here),
but mine will have to be an "Editor's Blog", since I'm running this.
You can get a little inside understanding of what goes on behind
the scenes here, what thinking is behind the building of Ferbles.
Also some days, I may just post a personal entry because, well, this
is my wall too.

If you have a question or problem, I'm the one to ask.

Editor's Blog, by Hunny 2557976417
Just click this icon, to message me.

Last edited by Hunny on Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:47 pm; edited 8 times in total
Hunny
Hunny
head cheerleader

Are you an alien? : On other planets I am.
describe yourself : I am both sides of the coin, and I am neither. I love words. I think independently. I sing. Caffeine, to me, is a vitamin. I once voted for you in an election. You didn't win. Can I borrow five bucks?

Character sheet
# of finkelsteins # of finkelsteins: 1

http://www.ferbles.com

Back to top Go down

Editor's Blog, by Hunny Empty Re: Editor's Blog, by Hunny

Post  Hunny Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:27 pm

Dear Diary-
This isn't so easy, making a website, and a magazine, and making it popular. It's a big task I took on. But, well, I must do it.
Erika came last night and I was so pleased to see her here. She's such a friend.
Now if only Toki would come Sad

Anyway, here's Erika and I online together at BS!
(Oh it's cool to have admin tools!)

Editor's Blog, by Hunny 5670161539_fec34b4b45_z

Last edited by Hunny on Tue May 03, 2011 4:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hunny
Hunny
head cheerleader

describe yourself : I am both sides of the coin, and I am neither. I love words. I think independently. I sing. Caffeine, to me, is a vitamin. I once voted for you in an election. You didn't win. Can I borrow five bucks?

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Hunny Tue May 03, 2011 4:39 pm

Dear Diary -

The site isn't done, it isn't even named, and the magazine has growing to do, but I posted the first issue anyway, and started inviting people to come. There's enough things posted here to have some fun now. Wink

Oh how this differs from the last diary I kept at a forum. ...I was at an alternate forum of a forum which was ill. And we would discuss its problems, but were largely powerless to fix any of them. So the mood was frustrated, and gripey.

I'm not gonna name names, but really, can you imagine a forum where they open your mail, and censor you for saying "heck", and bullies make the decisions??? It was a nightmare of a place. I'm glad that time is past now.

Having said that though, I cut my teeth in those last two forums (and one of them was actually a nice place). I learned everything I know there, enough to start my own place.

mm

Before I was there, I was at Yahoo Answers (in P&S), which was a great little community of comics I hooked up with. We would post gag questions to illicit joke responses from all our funny friends there, and it was truly great. But they had a report button. And people abused it. So everyone feared each other and closed their accounts away from view.

Simply put, everywhere I've been where they tried to control the place, with rules and threats, all they managed to do was make it awful.

Rules suck.
And report buttons are a nazi device. (Yea, they're a modern use of Hitler's tactic of how to occupy a country without fully being there. (In Poland, instead of posting enough troops to keep people sufficiently threatened, he just made everybody fear each other might report on them. He created a report system.))

And this is what Yahoo Answers did, when they decided they'd need no mods if they just put report buttons everywhere.

Well I don't forget these lessons from history. I knew I was in a bad place there. A lot of people did, and so a lot of people left. Everywhere I've been, rules and mods and report buttons are what has made people leave.

And you know what, why wouldn't they leave? At one of these sites, on average a member would pay hundreds of dollars (US) to be there. We were customers. But they treated us like inmates. So of course they lost members.

Well I am perpetually consternated that humankind has still not strived, even now, to do better than such a barbaric means of organization as to keep people spied upon and under threat as a way of "maintaining order". Only a damn bully or an ignorant person would make the god-awful excuse I too often hear of "There's no other way." Bull shit!

And this is why I'm usually more disgusted at the governed, than those who govern this abusive way, because it's the people themselves who make excuses and allow it to be so awful. They allow a few to terrorize the many (and then claim terrorism is bad) hmmph.

Ya' ever notice, people in authority are always doing all the things they tell you you can't do because they're "bad"? Oh they do! They kill people who kill people, to show that killing people is wrong. Then they go kill a bunch of people!! They stalk, they abuse, they assault and batter, they deal drugs, they organize gambling, and they run protection rackets, to name just a few of the things western governments reserve the right to do, for themselves only. (especially in the US)

Well, communities on the internet tend to run their affairs the same crappy way. I guess all humans are humans, so they act the same, whether it's a whole country or a smaller group of them. ..When will the naked apes truly evolve?

Well, I ramble.

But I'm just sayin'. Rules suck. Control sucks. Bullies are not something we need spying on the members, opening their mail and keeping them under threat. Screw that. We're not doing that here.

If you see someone doing "wrong", just offer to help them. Be nice to them. That's all. It's not hard. It is proven fact: rewarding good behavior can be more effective at causing it to happen, than punishing unwanted behavior can. So let's be smart! Let's be better!

(Hell, if nothing else, surely we could beat the track record of a site like MB, losing 90% of its 500,000 members due to using the "threaten and punish" system. Ya know?)

Last edited by Hunny on Wed May 04, 2011 11:54 pm; edited 13 times in total
Hunny
Hunny
head cheerleader

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  MikiiSmiles Tue May 03, 2011 10:55 pm

This magazine will do good, Hunny. Only have patience - remember a community takes time to grow, and a lot of effort from it's members, specially for the pioneer members (:

A lot of luck for you in these, and in life.
I love you very much; you're a great friend to me.

Love,
your wife.
MikiiSmiles
MikiiSmiles
beginner

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Hunny Thu May 05, 2011 12:00 am

Dear Diary-

I wrote a pretty honest letter, to a precious friend. And I worry what she will think. I am not hearing back from her. And I'm starting to feel sad..
Hunny
Hunny
head cheerleader

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Hunny Sat May 07, 2011 10:28 am

Dear Diary -

I know I promised never to speak of previous forums, but I swear I saw Pavs here checking me out

(he he, she still loves me!) Very Happy

Other than that, the letter apparently was received ok.

And I have lots of work to do. (which is a good thing!) Stay tuned...

Editor's Blog, by Hunny 4276145973
HELP KEEP US ONLINE !