see the whole forum
and post comments.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome

Make an account, so you can
see new posts marked,
see the whole forum
and post comments.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

About Space

:: Members Forum :: 

Go down

About Space Empty About Space

Post  Hunny Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:58 pm

About Space

I'll show you where we are, a little at a time.
I think you'll find it fascinating.

Today, let's just see some pictures. We'll start slow.

You may feel free to post too.

Hunny
Hunny
head cheerleader

Are you an alien? : On other planets I am.
describe yourself : I am both sides of the coin, and I am neither. I love words. I think independently. I sing. Caffeine, to me, is a vitamin. I once voted for you in an election. You didn't win. Can I borrow five bucks?

Character sheet
# of finkelsteins # of finkelsteins: 1

http://www.ferbles.com

Back to top Go down

About Space Empty Re: About Space

Post  Hunny Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:06 pm

Beginning close to home...
Shocking Space Debris Images

About Space 5817546321_6dd4cf95d9_z
The German newspaper, Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung, today published an article on space junk. The shocking image is an eye opener. Humankind continues to repeat the mistake of strewing waste into common spaces without a thought to the consequences, leaving costs we don't want to pay today for future generations. The European Space Agency's "Space Debris Accumulation" video depicts the tragic build up of space debris from 1957 through 2000. Ten thousand pieces of space litter cataloged at the end of 2003 break into the following categories:

41% - miscellaneous fragments

22% - old spacecraft

13% - mission related objects

7% - operational spacecraft

7% - rocket bodies
That's 93% pure junk, and only 7% useful satellites circling the earth. There are also 50,000 uncataloged objects larger than 1 cm (the largest size which modern shielding can deflect) estimated to be spinning through space at hypervelocities. So, in total, we've left 58,000 mostly un-tracked "bullets" whizzing around up there, because we're litterbugs.

Real Damage from Space Debris

About Space 5817543159_b5233a3183_z
This hole over 1 cm in diameter penetrates the Hubble high gain antenna dish (the unit continued working in spite of the damage). The windows on the Space Shuttle have been replaced 80 times due to impacts with objects of less than 1 mm. And costly systems to track and issue daily warnings of potential impacts must be maintained. The future impacts must also be considered. Space debris would be a severe hindrance to space-based solar projects. Last, but not least, there is the risk of space junk raining down on us: space junk hitting an Oklahoma woman is one of Space.com's top ten most memorable pieces of space junk.

Graveyards in Space
So what can be done? Guidelines do exist, limiting the creation of debris in normal operations, and promoting "disposal" either by de-orbiting junk back towards earth, where it usually burns up in the atmosphere, or by putting space junk into "graveyard" orbits above the commercially important low-Earth and geostationary orbit zones. But more needs to be done. Some advocate for regulations. Others take it a step farther, speculating on giant NERF balls, space lasers and cosmic collection vehicles among other imaginative ways to tackle the growing problem.

Ferbles is a weekly magazine, and forum where you can find friends, chat, laugh, play games, blog,
post free classified ads, and be part of a growing daily community. Meta Keywords: ferbles, funny,
anarchist, magazine, weekly, humor, forum, fun, diary, discussion, interesting, good shit, hilarious,
hysterical, lively, debate, friends, advice, community, irreverent, music, jokes, comedy, laughter
Hunny
Hunny
head cheerleader

describe yourself : I am both sides of the coin, and I am neither. I love words. I think independently. I sing. Caffeine, to me, is a vitamin. I once voted for you in an election. You didn't win. Can I borrow five bucks?

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Hunny Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:39 pm

Hunny
Hunny
head cheerleader

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Hunny Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:02 pm

This is Carl Sagan's "Cosmos".

It's episode one of the13-episode series which explains what and where we are.
Whether you're religious, or not, it's nothing less than a spiritual experience
to watch this. I saw this when it first aired on PBS. It changed my view for the
rest of my life. And it is just as mesmerizing to watch it now as it was then. Enjoy!

Part one - The Shores Of The Cosmic Ocean

Hunny
Hunny
head cheerleader

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Hunny Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:04 am

I think what we'll do to get started is show an episode of Cosmos once a week, till we've all watched it. I can think of nothing more edifying, and simultaneously mystifying, about the universe and our part in it. This is part 2 (of 13) Enjoy!

Hunny
Hunny
head cheerleader

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Hunny Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:13 am

Well I don't know about you, but I'm ready to rush on to episode three. But a deal's a deal. One a week. I'll post episode three on friday , along with the fresh magazine issue...
Hunny
Hunny
head cheerleader

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Hunny Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:55 pm

COMMENT FROM THE UPLOADER:

"I uploaded Carl Sagan's Cosmos because this is what the internet, at its best, is all about. But I never expected the comments I would see! It seems like every day I get comments from people talking about how special Carl was, what he meant to them, how he changed their lives, etc. Every comment brings a smile to my face. I'm very proud to say the comments to these videos have become a virtual shrine to a great man who is obviously still missed by millions.

As for me, I first watched Cosmos when I was 10 years old. It had a profound impact on me that lasts to this day. For years, I thought I should become a scientist as a result. That never worked out, and I ultimately chose a very different career path, but Carl's thinking still permeates my intellectual character: his rationality, his skepticism, his deep-felt love of humanity, and, most importantly, his enduring optimism."

Hunny
Hunny
head cheerleader

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

:: Members Forum :: 

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum